Saturday 8 June 2013

Youthful, houseful nostalgia


So while I was working at Groovefinder Records in Southsea back in 2002, a certain boss and soulful ol' boy Jeff Powell (now famed for his rep of Karin Park, among many others) picked a few crisp, imported 12s from the shelves and said to me, 'This is house music as it's meant to be'.

At the time, I was being offered a valuable sales tool, but what he actually did was introduce me to the real sound of the super-soulful US, and I was hooked.

Naked Music, OM, Soulfuric. Labels as synonymous with the modern club sound as the likes of Trax way back when. So here's three sounds from an era that truly shaped by music obsession. Hope you like.

Miguel Migs - Nude Dimensions Vol. 1 (The Petalpusher Session) 

(Naked Music)


I listened to this over and over again on a sunlounger on my first ever trip to Ibiza. A mix that still gives me shivers.



Kaskade - It's You, It's Me 

(OM)


Another of Jeff's recommendations, and a twelve I could still never bare to part with.



Hardsoul feat. Ron Carroll - Back Together (Main Classic Mix) 

(Soulfuric)


Recently released on Defected's 'For The Love of House Vol. 2', this is another treasured, timeless soulful house benchmark; a track I went on to play relentlessly during my uni years at Bournemouth's Klute and Funki Sushi, and a tune that still inspires me now. 

As the name suggests, this is a true classic.



DJ Equipment - Serato Scratch Live SL-1

No comments:

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...